Thurgood Marshall College
Commencement Ceremony 2015
The Thurgood Marshall College 2015 Commencement Ceremony will be held at 8:00 am on Sunday, June 14, 2015, at RIMAC Field, UC San Diego.
Plan to watch the 2015 Commencement Ceremony live here on June 14th
Watch the 2014 TMC Commencement Ceremony video
A short list of things to do before your big day.
- Review important information about official UCSD graduation and deadlines.
- Log into degree.ucsd.edu and specify if you would like your name printed in the official commencement program before Friday, May 1, 2015 at midnight.
- Order your cap, gown, tassel and ticket at the UC San Diego Bookstore
- Apply to be the Senior Speaker, nominate friends for awards, vote on award recipients, and purchase your MarStole. Information below.
Commencement Day Information
- Graduates MUST report with their tickets, cap and gown by 6:30 a.m. for check-in at Spanos track and field. The College will have coffee and bagels waiting for you.
- Once graduates check-in they will not see family members until after the ceremony
- Students do not process in by major or name. You can walk with your friends, but you must line up with them in that order in Spanos Track
- Disabled parking will be available in Hopkins Parking Structure. Contact email@example.com if you are a graduate with specific requirements
- The ceremony is scheduled to take approximately two hours - from 8:00a.m. to 10:00a.m.
- One printed Commencement Program will be provided to each graduate at the ceremony. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide family members with a printed program.
Official graduation and participating in the Commencement Ceremony are two different things. Make sure to review all important graduation information here.
- Graduation is the term used to describe when a student has completed all requirements and his/her degree has been officially posted to the academic record.
- Commencement is the annual ceremony in which eligible students participate. Participation in the commencement ceremony does not constitute official graduation from the University
To participate in the Marshall College commencement ceremony, you must have at least 135 units completed.
Students must complete a Degree and Diploma Application (DDA) to file for graduation and request to have their name in the printed commencement program. The deadline is Friday May 1, 2015 (Midnight)
If you would like your name printed differently than automatically listed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a name change for the program. If you would like your name printed differently on your UCSD diploma, you will need to complete an official name change with the UCSD Registrars Office.
Triton Spring Career Fair
When: Wednesday, April 8, 2015
Where: Price Center Ballroom West and East
Time: 10:00am-2:30pm | T.O.P. Students Early Access: 10:00am-10:30am Website
- Grad Nite will be held on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 from 6:30pm – 9:00pm at the UCSD Bookstore
- Grad Fest will be held on Wednesday and Thursday, April 22-23, 2015 from 10:00am – 3:00pm. at the UCSD Bookstore
- Marshall College Senior Week will be Thursday, May 14-Tuesday, May 19. Dave & Buster's, the annual Senior MarStroll, Beach Day, Networking Night and more! Check out the Facebook event for more details!
Marshall College, in partnership with a number of UC San Diego departments and organizations, presents several awards to students who show dedication to their studies and a commitment to the activities and mission of Marshall College.
- Provost Award
- Thurgood Marshall Award of Academic Distinction
- Academic Advising Leadership Award
- Outstanding Faculty Award
- Outstanding Senior Award
Vote now for the Outstanding Senior and Outstanding Faculty award recipients. Closes May 1st.
In addition, the following Thurgood Marshall College Leadership and Service awards are designed to recognize students whose undergraduate careers have included distinguished accomplishments in leadership, service, involvement, and academic achievement. Please see below for award descriptions.
Dean’s Award for Leadership and Service
The Dean’s Award for Leadership and Service is awarded to a graduating senior who has demonstrated excellence, outstanding leadership, and significant service contributions to Thurgood Marshall College through academic and/or co-curricular activities. The award recipient will have exhibited leadership and active participation within the Thurgood Marshall College community and demonstrated commitment to the Thurgood Marshall College philosophy.
PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THROUGH EACH AWARD DESCRIPTION TO ENSURE THAT YOU QUALIFY FOR THE AWARD.
The Thurgood Marshall College Senior Week Grad Committee invites all interested seniors to write a graduation address. Two speakers will be selected: one will present at the Scholar & Citizen Reception on Thursday, May 28th at 3:00pm, and the second speaker will present at Commencement on Sunday, June 14th at 8:00am. The speaker selected for each occasion will be determined based on the appropriateness of the speech in respect to the venue and audience.
All speeches should be submitted to the Executive Assistant to the Dean of Student Affairs, Joseph Villegas (email@example.com) no later than Tuesday, April 14th 12:00pm (Week 3). The speeches should be typed (double spaced) and include on a separate page the applicant’s name, email address, and phone number.
A maximum of 10 individuals will be chosen to continue to the next judging phase, where they will deliver their speech to the Thurgood Marshall College Senior Week Grad Committee in the TMC Administration Building. If you are selected to audition, you will be contacted to schedule your audition time which will take place the week of April 20th – 24th (Week 4). The oral presentation of the commencement speech should not exceed 5 minutes.
The speeches will be judged in two main categories: content and delivery. The selection committee will use the following criteria:
CONTENT: The selection committee will read the written speeches (the author’s name will not appear on the copies to be read by the committee), and rank them in order of preference keeping in mind the following:
1. Content should embrace the spirit of Thurgood Marshall College
2. Creativity and originality
3. Upbeat/inspirational tone
4. Clarity of message
5. Connect with the audience
DELIVERY: The selection committee will hear the oral presentation of the speeches by the applicants and rank them in order of preference keeping in mind the following:
1. Stage presence (i.e. eye contact with audience), confidence, poise etc.
2. Enunciation, articulation, and projection
3. Practice and preparation
Speeches should be five minutes or less. We encourage you to be as creative and original as you wish, with the message being clear and relevant to the occasion.
Reminder: Selected individuals will deliver speeches to the Senior Week Grad Committee during Week 4 of the quarter (date to be determined). You will be contacted to schedule your audition time if you are selected to audition. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 534-4390.
Participate in a wonderful Marshall tradition by wearing a Marshall Stole of Gratitude as you walk across the Commencement stage. Many students have also given their "MarStoles” to special supporters whom they felt had been key contributors in the achievement of college graduation. This stole will be worn over your regalia to showcase your pride in Marshall College.
Thanks to support from the TMC Provost Office and the Senior Week Grad Committee, MarStoles are being offered at a subsidized price. Regularly $20, MarStoles are being offered for $12 during this special online pre-sale. Buy your commemorative MarStole today!
*Limit ONE MarStole per graduating senior. Any orders of quantities greater than one MarStole or multiple orders by the same student will be cancelled and payment will be refunded.
**Pre-sale ends on Friday, May 22nd. Once pre-sale ends, price will increase to $20 per stole.
***Stoles will NOT be shipped or delivered. Please pick up your stole at any of the Senior Week events happening Thursday, May 14 - Tuesday, May 19. After Senior Week, MarStoles will be available for pick-up at the TMC Admin Building, Monday-Friday from 9am-4pm.
Commencement parking is free, but expect heavy traffic. Follow these tips:
- Anticipate severe congestion and plan your commute accordingly.
- Allow at least 45 minutes to park. (See the commencement schedule for graduation ceremony dates and times.)
- Carpooling is strongly encouraged.
- No permit or payment will be required at parking meters or in spaces marked VP, V, S, B, or A.
- Important: Follow the instructions of parking staff on commencement day. You may be redirected to alternative areas once a lot is full.
For Students and Guests who Need Special Accommodations:
If you need to request special accommodations, please contact us at 858-534-4004 or email email@example.com. If you need handicapped parking, notify the parking attendant when you arrive on campus. You will be directed to the nearest available lot. Shuttles are available to take disabled guests from the parking areas to the field. We are unable to reserve seating for guests.
Please note: No animals allowed. Service animals specifically trained to assist a person with a disability are welcome.
At all of its commencement ceremonies, UC San Diego accommodates disabled individuals in these ways:
Wheelchair seating: the end chair in each row can be moved to fit a wheelchair. Please ask a security or production individual (yellow jackets) for help removing chairs. All seats are available on a first come-first served basis. UCSD does not provide rental wheelchairs. We recommend students contact a local hospital supply company if a rental is required.
Sun sensitivity: two 40’ canopied tents, one on each side of the general seating sections, accommodate those with sun sensitivity. Seats are available on a first come-first served basis. It is STRONGLY suggested parties needing this seating arrive at least 2 hours prior to the ceremony, which is when guests begin arriving.
American Sign Language interpreters will be on stage throughout the ceremony
Handicap parking is available at the Hopkins Parking Structure (http://act.ucsd.edu/maps/)
ADA carts assigned for those with wheelchair needs and walking impairments. For those who cannot walk the distance from the street to the mid-field (200 yards on grass), the ADA cart can drop off your guests near the stage area. Alert the ADA cart driver of the walking impairment. The guest must walk from the drop-off point to the guest-seating area. Shuttle wait is between 1 and 15 minutes. We advise wearing flat shoes as RIMAC Field is a grassy field.
Handicapped parking spaces for those with handicapped parking permits
If you would like to begin planning your visit to San Diego in June, you can find information about hotels located near campus here.
There are no tickets needed for guests to attend the Marshall College Commencement Ceremony. However, because seating is limited, we ask that students have no more than 6 seated guests.
Seats are available only on a first come-first served basis. Guests are not permitted to save seats for others arriving late.
We will be web streaming the Commencement Ceremony live.
There will be limited shaded tents for guests at a first come-first served basis.
Water will be provided for TMC graduates only; therefore, family members should bring their own water with them.
Once your graduate is checked in to the graduate arena, you will be unable to contact them until the end of the ceremony. Please, keep all aisles open during procession and recession.
- Marshall College Academic Advising
- UCSD Alumni Office - Stay connected!
- UCSD Career Services - Get help exploring graduate school options or finding your first post-graduation job
- UCSD Bookstore - Purchase graduation announcements, diploma frames, and more
- UCSD Commencement - General commencement information and exception requests
- UCSD Parent and Family Resources - Visitor information for families and guests
- Flowers - order leis and flowers through Graduation Day Flowers.
The 2015 Marshall College Commencement Keynote Speaker will be New York Times Columnist Frank Bruni.