Unique to Thurgood Marshall College, the Marshall Mentor Program is a year-long program providing transfer students the opportunity to work closely with faculty who will share their knowledge and experience in order to better equip students for study at UC San Diego. Faculty mentors are carefully matched with first year transfer students based on their interests, field of study and educational goals. Originally launched in 2006 the program has served over 600 students.
Marshall College currently supports 1,800 active transfer students and is welcoming an additional 608 new transfer students in Fall 2015. The mission of the Marshall Mentor Program is to:
- Increase student interaction with faculty
- Equip transfer students with the necessary tools to be academically successful
- Provide students exposure to an expert faculty member in their area of study
- Build and strengthen leadership skills
- Educate students about University resources to assist in assimilating to life on campus and becoming more engaged
- Open to all new transfer students enrolled in Thurgood Marshall College
- Students must submit an online application during the official application period - Wednesday, September 9 to Monday, October 5, 2015
- Applicants that are accepted are required to make a commitment to attend all scheduled activities during the academic year and meet all program requirements
- Students are matched with faculty based on major, academic interests and other identified criteria
- Faculty mentors will work with a maximum of three transfer students and may conduct meetings individually as well as in groups
- Mentees must meet with their faculty mentor once during fall quarter, and a minimum of three meetings per quarter during winter and spring
- MMP staff will notify students in November via email of application results
- MMP Application period opens Wednesday, September 9, 2015, and closes Monday, October 5, 2015
- Mandatory student orientation – Thursday, November 5th or Friday, November 6th – (more information coming soon)
- Students notified of application status – Monday, October 26th
- Program begins – Monday, November 9th
- Faculty orientation lunch - November 9th at noon (more information coming soon)
- Program ends - June 10th
MMP hosts key events during the academic year for all faculty and students participating in the program. If accepted - please mark your calendar and plan on attending the following events.
- Welcome reception - Tuesday, December 1st - 3:00pm-5:00pm at the UCSD Faculty Club
- MMP Winter Quarter - Thursday, January 21st - 11:30am-1:30pm at UCSD Round Table Pizza
- MMP end of the year reception - Thursday, April 21st - 3:00pm-5:00pm at the UCSD Faculty Club
A faculty mentor is a professor interested in cultivating vital, academic connections with new Marshall College transfer students. Participating faculty— closely aligned with the student's area of study— will connect with a maximum of three transfer students acting as a guide and a resource throughout the current academic year. Mentors can meet with their students during office hours, over coffee or in their research facilities.
Mentor relationships are a fantastic opportunity to use your talent, knowledge, and ideas to make a difference in a student’s academic growth and development. As a mentor, you will find yourself being a guide, a networking resource and a coach reinforcing positive accomplishments. You have the opportunity to encourage and guide an incoming transfer student in a direction that will enhance their academic career.
If you are interested in serving as a faculty mentor email email@example.com
Faculty mentors benefit from:
- Full staff support through-out the program
- Recognition by Marshall College on the Marshall College website homepage
- Visibility to their respective department Chair with a letter from the Marshall College Provost stating his/her contribution to the program and student population
- Participation in Marshall College events through-out the academic year
- A small research stipend
Mentees are newly enrolled Marshall College transfer students who have applied and been accepted into the MMP program. Mentees must be interested and dedicated to establishing and maintaining meaningful connections with UC San Diego faculty members.
Student mentees benefit from:
- Guidance, direction, advice, and encouragement from an accomplished UC San Diego faculty member in their area of study
- Formal and informal networking opportunities
- Participation in MMP hosted events throughout the academic year
- Full support of a staff representative in the Academic Advising Office, Student Affairs Office and Provost Office
- Recognition by Marshall College with a certificate of completion
The 2015-2016 student application period closed on October 5th. Staff are now reviewing applications and will contact students within two weeks with an update on their status. Note - students are NOT automatically admitted into the program as we maintain a max 75 person enrollment limit. Students not admitted into the program are encouraged to pursue informal mentoring relationships with faculty and participate in the TMC peer mentor program "Each One Reach One."