As your Academic Counselors at Thurgood Marshall College, we assist you in understanding your General Education and University of California graduation requirements. We are generalists and approach your advising from a "big picture" perspective.
We can help you:
- develop suitable educational plans
- monitor progress toward degree completion
- integrate unique educational opportunities into your curriculum
- understand University policies and procedures
- clarify life and career goals
The Academic Advisors at Thurgood Marshall College are available to meet with current students daily during our available walk-in hours, and during select weeks by appointment, in the Thurgood Marshall College (TMC) Administration Building. Below is a guide to assist you in determining the nature of your visit.
Walk-In visits for current students are designed to last 10-15 minutes to ask simple questions of your advisors. These topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Degree checks for students with senior standing
- Review of courses for the current quarter
- Review and sign forms, including Programs Abroad documents, International Center forms, and Financial Aid Academic Plans.
- Selection of courses for the upcoming quarter
- General inquiries regarding readmission
Walk-In Hours are updated weekly on the front page of the Virtual Advising Center, and are subject to change.
Appointments to meet with a counselor are available for current students during select weeks in 30 minute increments. Students can contact the office one week in advance to schedule an appointment. Appointments can be made at the Academic Advising Office front desk, or by phone at 858-534-4110. Typical topics discussed by appointment include:
- Developing long-range curriculum plans
- Discussing withdrawal from the quarter and/or the university
- Students facing academic difficulty, or other challenges that may require a referral
- Not sure if you require an appointment? Please contact our front desk at 858-534-4110 for assistance
Please Note: Curriculum Planning appointments are not available during the first two weeks of the quarter.
Current students can submit a brief question 24 hours a day through the Virtual Advising Center. An advisor will respond within 72 business hours (and often sooner).
Important note: Response times may exceed 3 working days during enrollment periods and/or observed campus closures.