DOC 3: Imagination – offered every spring quarter – investigates many of the issues and themes raised in the previous two DOC courses through artifacts of modern American culture, including videos, novels, plays, music, films, and television from the post-World War II period until the present.
This six-unit course focuses on understanding cultural texts as historical documents made up of specific formal elements that reveal the ideological tensions at work in a given period.
For this writing-intensive course, students will be required to complete a 5-6 page paper and a creative project that captures some of the key concepts of the DOC sequence.
Students who have already satisfied the Entry Level Writing Requirement have priority to enroll in DOC 3 during the spring quarter enrollment period in February. All students who are enrolled in SDCC1 (or SDCC4) in winter quarter must wait until their exit exam results are posted, indicating that they have satisfied the ELWR, before they can enroll in DOC 3.DOC 3 discussion sections will meet twice a week, starting Week 1. Attendance at the first discussion section is mandatory. Adding and dropping DOC sections may be done via WebReg until Friday afternoon of Week One. After that, students must get DOC office approval to make any changes in their DOC enrollment (email firstname.lastname@example.org and include PID).
Dr. Jorge Mariscal's 2016 DOC 3 (Lecture A) Syllabus -- distributed in lecture 3/28/16 [pdf]
Dr. Jeff Gagnon's 2016 DOC 3 (Lecture B) Syllabus -- distributed in lecture 3/28/16 [pdf]
Dr. Danny Widener's 2016 DOC 3 (Lecture C) Syllabus -- distributed in lecture 3/28/16 [pdf]
for reference: Key Words from DOC 1: Diversity [pdf]
DOC 3 Key Words [pdf]
PAPER 1: Analyzing Popular Music -- distributed in lecture 4/13/16:
- Assignment for Dr. Mariscal's Lecture [pdf]
- Assignment for Dr. Gagnon's Lecture [pdf]
- Assignment for Dr. Widener's Lecture [pdf]
for reference: AXES Method of Paragraph Development [pdf]
For Mariscal and Gagnon Lectures: One of the Week 5 Readings [pdf]
Capstone Project assignment -- distributed in lecture 5/04/16 [pdf]
Dr. Jorge MARISCAL
- Lecture A, MWF 10:00 a.m.
- Office: Sequoyah Hall 125
- SP16 Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday, & Friday 11:00-12:00
and by appointment (email@example.com)
Dr. Jeff GAGNON
- Lecture B, MWF 11:00 a.m.
- Office: Sequoyah Hall 124
- SP16 Office Hours: Monday 1:30-2:30, Wednesday 12:00-1:00
and by appointment (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr. Danny WIDENER
- Lecture C, MWF 1:00 p.m.
- Office: H&SS 3073
- SP16 Office Hours Held at Mandeville Coffee Cart:
Monday & Wednesday 11:30-12:30
and by appointment (email@example.com)
- Spring 2015 Dr. Shelley Streeby's DOC 3 Syllabus [pdf]
- Spring 2015 Dr. Jade Power Sotomayor's DOC 3 Syllabus [pdf]
- Spring 2015 Dr. Nadine George-Graves' DOC 3 Syllabus [pdf]
- Spring 2014 DOC 3 Syllabus (Mariscal and Roxworthy) [pdf]